Helping nervous patients in Oxford beat dental anxiety
We are proud to be a leading dental phobia certified dentist in Oxford, specialising in successfully helping nervous patients beat their dental anxiety.
Our highly skilled dental team who are experienced at helping nervous patients includes highly experienced dentist Dr Ajay Murgai, GDC No:85639, who has over 15 years cosmetic dentistry experience and is also a Dental Phobia Certified dentist.
Most dental procedures are not painful, but at The Smile Practice in Oxford and Didcot we understand that you may feel apprehensive about visiting the dentist. A phobia is characterised by an intense, irrational fear.
If you suffer from dental phobia you might have put off routine dental care for years or even decades. This could mean you’ve put up with periodontal disease (gum disease), tooth pain or even a broken tooth.
At The Smile Practice, we have found that people with dental phobia are at a higher risk of early tooth loss and gum disease. Avoiding the dentist might also have an emotional impact as well, as damaged or discoloured teeth can make you feel insecure or self-conscious.
What happens if dental phobia is not treated?
People with dental phobia may also suffer from poorer general health, as poor oral health has been linked to serious conditions such as lung infections and heart disease.
If dental phobia isn’t treated, it will only get worse over time. Yet it is treatable and our friendly team at The Smile Practice welcome nervous patients and are here to help you overcome your anxiety and have a comfortable and positive dental experience.
Causes of dental phobia
Dental phobia can develop for a number of different reasons, including:
- Pain – you might have a fear of pain that is contributing to your dental phobia. This is often caused by early dental visits that took place before modern, pain-free dental advances became available.
- Loss of control and feeling helpless – it is common to develop phobias about situations in which you have no control. This helpless feeling can trigger anxiety in the dental chair if you feel you can’t see what’s going on or can’t predict how the treatment will feel.
- Embarrassment – If you haven’t visited the dentist for a long time you might feel embarrassed about your teeth, especially if you’re self-conscious about the way they look.
Symptoms of dental phobia
Some symptoms of dental phobia include:
- Feeling tense or having trouble sleeping before a dental appointment
- Increasing nerves when you’re in the waiting room
- You feel strong emotions when you think about going to the dentist and seeing dental instruments increases your anxiety
- You feel physically ill when you think of visiting the dentist
- During appointments, you panic or have breathing difficulties when dental instruments are placed near your mouth
If you would like us to stop your dental anxiety
If you experience any of the above symptoms, please tell one of our friendly staff members at The Smile Practice.
You’ll soon overcome your fears and feel comfortable and calm in our warm, relaxing environment. We will also adapt our treatment methods to ease your anxiety and make your appointment as stress-free as possible.
I am a 38-year-old woman with very high fear of dentist, almost paranoia
After I long ignored my tooth problems I got into a terrible ugly situation … cary … infection
One day I was courageous and I called The Smile Practice
The staff is extraordinary, I met Zoe who is an extraordinary and very patient nurse
About the doctor I can say he is the God of the teeth … I told him that I want a hollywood smile and so show the result … my smile is perfect …. my teeth are perfect
My doctor … as I like to say now is a man with a patience of gold ….. I’m a paranoid and I stressed him a lot and he treated me with patience … very patience
My big surprise was not to feel pain ….. no pain … no pain ….. so … I told my doctor ….. God of teeth
Zoe, the nurse is a great woman I stressed of course ….:) ….. and she treated me with very patience
So my conclusion ….. The best doctor … The God of my teeth is Ajay Murgai … and I will continue to come to the same clinic The Smile Practice for cosmetics
I am extremely pleased and strongly recommend this doctor who is extraordinary
It’s worth more than 5 stars
Thanks Ajay Murgai and Zoe”Rating: 5